2016-02-19

Material girl

When I originally came up with the title to this post I was going to write about the things I carry with me wherever I go and how they seem to be all material stuff yet they are very much connected to the things I love to do, sort of my favorite things in life..
I could still write that kind of text but instead I desided to take another perspective to the title. Andthat perspective has to do with my pregnancy and the baby on the way. Well ok, the due date is still over three months away but since I'm already starting to feel the pressure of being a mom and having a child I think this is an important subject to write about. But fear not, this WILL NOT be a pregnancy blog even though this post is about the subject.

The thing with pregnancy is that you are supposed to get loads of things when the baby is on the way. I'm already stressing about car seats, cribs, strollers etc. You name it. I'm not planning to have everything bought as new, I am more than ready to buy used stuff because I realize that they are only used for a very short time and then the child grows out of them. But there are certain things you must consider when buying or selling used stuff. For example car seats for kids. They get old. The standards, legislation, safety requirements etc. change and a baby seat is said to be old in five years. The new seats cost alot. And I mean ALOT. If I would be working it wouldn't be a big deal. But I'm not working. I'm unemployed. And even though I've been glad not to because I've had the possibility to rest whenever I've felt like it, it has been stressful. I've been going through all kind of pages selling used stuff and one thing that has become very clear is that the sellers don't automatically tell how old their seat is. And if you go through tens of used seats, hundreds of used seats.. well, let's just say that asking each and every seller of the age of the seat gets one tired and stressed. I don't think that I ask that much, I'm not obsessed about having blue for boy/pink for girl, all I'm concerned for is the safety of my first (and probably only) child. I need to weigh in my mind what kind of a risk I am willing to take when buying a used seat.

What I'm trying to say is that it would be ten times easier to buy everything new. And I'm saying this because I realize that becoming a mother/father is hard. It is difficult just as it is and I don't need any more difficulties that come for example with stroller that's working poorly because I bought a used one. I don't need backpain that comes from lifting the baby from a crib that doesn't have the possibility to change the height of the bottom of the bed. And I say this because I'm realizing that I'm not that young anymore. So I try my best to make things easier with the material stuff. But then there is also the other part of being material. Buying useless things. I don't want that and I don't need that. I'm giving birth to a baby. And all babies do is cry, shit and eat. They don't need a bunch of toys. Kids in the past have learned to walk without any walking-chairs or things like that. We have plans to make it in our teeny-tiny appartment through the first year with the baby. We don't need that unnecessary stuff to fill this place. We have already more than enough and there's even plenty of stuff I'd like to get rid of. I wish I could make money with those things and then buy the necessary things for the baby.

And a new computer for myself. It's something I find necessary for my own well-being at the moment. It's my escape route from inside these four walls when I feel too tired to actually meet people or go out.

No comments: